Thai Fish Cakes + Dipping Sauce
(multiply as needed)
Approx. 1 hour
(prep + cooking)
A few hot tips to start:
– This can be made in advance and will keep in fridge for a few days. Make sure container is sealed well as this is very aromatic;
– Start your dipping sauce before forming and cooking cakes, as it will need time to reduce and thicken;
– Kaffir lime leaves can be found at your local Asian grocer in the freezer and they keep for years;
– To get fish smell off your hands, put a few lime leaves in a bowl of water and wash after handling;
- 1.5 cups (500g) any white fish fillets minced (haddock)
- 6 tbsp red curry paste
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp palm sugar (brown sugar or coconut sugar)
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, ripped from stem and chopped
- 8 green beans, thinly sliced in rounds
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp ground peanuts, roasted and unsalted and chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped fine
The Steps to Take
Place the curry paste, beaten egg, fish sauce and palm sugar in a bowl and combine thoroughly. Add minced fish, ginger, green beans and kaffir lime leaves to mix. Add baking powder and tapioca flour and combine thoroughly.
Form cakes by hand about 1.5 inches in diameter. Heat oil on med-high in a wok until very hot.
Add 5 fish cakes at a time, ensuring oil does not get too hot. Fry the fishcakes until they are golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). When floating, they-re cooked. Keep flipping until they turn brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately!
Dipping Sauce: Bring the sugar, water and vinegar to boil over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved turn to low heat and simmer. Stir occasionally until it is thick. Remove from heat and add chili flakes. Pour into serving dishes and garnish with cucumber and ground peanuts!
Get the Latest Recipes!
Get cookin’ with recipes straight to your in box.